Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Reporter's Notebook

How much does spending matter?

As I watch corporate giants such as Starbucks and Microsoft make cuts, I hear a lot about how the economy will improve once consumer confidence gets back up.

This makes sense in many ways – businesses can’t survive and people can’t keep their jobs if consumers aren’t supporting them financially. But when I look around, I don’t see a lot of reason for consumers to be confident. I, for one, feel much more confident these days when I’m saving money rather than spending it.

There’s a lot of discussion about this happening online. My favorite money blog, Get Rich Slowly, includes a post this week about the paradox of thrift, which calls attention to a pretty fascinating piece at ConsumerismCommentary.com. Elsewhere, I’ve read that the current economic situation could lead to lasting changes in our culture and in Americans’ spending habits – spending less, that is.

If we have a spending slowdown for years to come, how do you plan to adjust within your business? If you believe consumers will pick up where they left off, what’s giving you that confidence? Or do you see our economy heading in a new direction, toward a different kind of strength than we’ve had in recent decades? Your answers to these questions can help shape our coverage of your business community, so send us your thoughts.

--Charity Thompson can be reached at cthompson@vbjusa.com

2 comments:

VBJ Reporter said...

Posted by Site Admin:

Doom and Gloom

Not withstanding the concept that there are many smarter people than I, I can not help but wonder given the unlimited resources and power what I would do to help the world in this economic turndown.

I would of course, with my super power and some form of comic sidekick, human or animal first rid the world of a negative attitude.

This of course would be done by a magic elixir of chemical reinforced Kool Aid. The same concoction could effectively be used to promote the use of rose colored glasses.

This panacea of mind and sight would enable us all to overlook the trust and respect we placed in our politicians and business leaders. The same trust we place in the media to gather mass information which tells us all what we believe and know.

The pervasive attitude of doom and gloom stems from our own beliefs. Harder now is to keep a positive attitude when we all know that to hear it is not necessarily to be believed what we have seen was masked by lies and our need to believe. All of this from supposedly smarter people than you and I.

My super power would give me and my sidekick the ability, without Killer Kool Aid and Magic Glasses to show the world we can be smarter than the leaders who previously took us willingly. Having a good attitude, being compassionate, sharing, digging in and working together that just maybe, starting with you and me, that we can place the bottom of the doom and gloom economic cycle no lower than it is today.

Ron Edwards

VBJ Reporter said...

Posted by Site Admin:

Carley Francis doesn’t understand that there is *no* consensus of opinion as yet despite best efforts of the committee? Certainly Craig Pridemore’s proposal is sneaky as well as ill-advised.

Expressing my opinion and thank you for reading it.

Jennifer Petersen