Friday, November 14, 2008

Reporter's Notebook

Hello, future

I am so far out of the technology loop that the simplest forms of it are mind-boggling to me. I still watch “Steel Magnolias” on VHS, thank you very much.

I just learned there are phone applications out there that can tell you the name of a song that’s playing wherever you are – and then download the song to your phone. You’d think the person who turned me on to this wizardry had just informed me she’d be vacationing on the moon for Thanksgiving.

But today, I was enlightened about a fascinating form of technology that could have much further-reaching impacts than digital “Name That Tune.” Diane Cook, a Washington State University Pullman professor, is leading the research and development of artificial intelligence applications for our homes, offices and beyond.

The technology used in the research is not new – in fact, much of it has been available for some time. But the way the WSU team has used it allows the technology to reason. This, of course, freaks me out – thinking computers? But it is remarkable nonetheless.

Using a network of sensors in your business office, the system can understand you enough to predict your behavior then act by welcoming you to the office – because it knows who you are - turning on your desk lamp and starting your coffee pot, if those are the things you normally do as you enter the office. And all of this without you having to program it to do so.

The researchers have turned their efforts to using the technology for allowing the aging population to remain at home as long and independently as possible, which could go far to improve quality of life and save money.

But back to our workspaces. What I wouldn’t give for technology that senses I’ve been sitting in front of a computer too long and makes a glass of wine and masseuse appear...

-Megan Patrick-Vaughn can be reached at mpatrick@vbjusa.com

0 comments: