Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Reporter's Notebook

WHY THESE LEADERS ARE WINNERS

Today is quite an important day-after. Yesterday we voted in record numbers to choose new political leaders and 20 young leaders were honored at the VBJ’s Accomplished and Under 40 luncheon with Frederiksen, noted above.

All of this got me thinking about effective leadership. While interviewing the honorees, I was struck by the subtle qualities that allow them to have such economic, civic and philanthropic influence.

Here are a few nuggets of wisdom I gleaned while researching the honorees:

  • “Success comes from a lot of hard work and people who believe in you.”
  • “Somebody has to do it.”
  • “Every day I’m critical of myself and feel like I fall short, like I’m not reaching out. It’s not that I lack self confidence, it’s just that I keep reaching.”
  • “From the electricians to the masonry workers to the landscapers, he treats everyone as an equal and with respect.”
  • “She constantly displays qualities one usually associates with an older person: wisdom, consistency, balance.”
  • “When you call looking for assistance, I’m always ready to jump, probably to my detriment.”
  • “He has an easy-going manner and ability to work with others who are almost never as prepared as he is.”
  • “She won’t ask anyone to do anything that she wouldn’t or hasn’t done herself.”
Profiles of Frederiksen and each Accomplished and Under 40 honoree will be in the Nov. 14 issue of the VBJ. All the best to our leaders, near and far.

Charity Thompson can be reached at cthompson@vbjusa.com

0 comments: