Friday, November 7, 2008

Reporter's Notebook

STAY HOME ALREADY

I swear there has been something akin to the plague making its way around Vancouver. It certainly made its way around the VBJ, like many workplaces in town. But when I got it, what did I do? Came to work anyway.

“I’m not that sick,” I said to myself. “I’m just tired. I have so much work to do. I have to go, or the work won’t get done.” The excuses went on.

Since the haze has passed, I’ve been able to reflect on what a terrible decision it was to work sick. It may seem self-indulgent and impossible to stay home and catch up on Ellen when you’re not feeling well, but an article on the BusinessWeek website clued me to why it’s not only bad for you, but your company when you try to be Superman (or woman).

1. We can’t meet the needs of clients when we’re sick. Seriously, who wants to do business with you while you’re hacking up a lung?
2. By bringing your germs to work, you’re increasing the likelihood your coworkers are going to get sick. Not a good way to make friends and…
3. You’re hurting your company. “Presenteeism” – the problems that arise when employees come to work in spite of illness or distracting life issues – can have negative repercussions on your business performance.
4. You’re not being fair to yourself – you need and deserve time to heal.

This is not easy for many motivated workers who think they carry the weight of their companies on their shoulders. But from my own unscientific estimation, I felt drained and unwell, was unproductive and potentially infected my coworkers for five days. Had I taken a day or two off, I could have been back in full force for three days out of that work week.

Now this doesn’t mean you should take advantage of the situation and stay home every time one of your eyelashes doesn’t feel right, but take care of yourselves. When you don’t, everyone suffers.

-Megan Patrick-Vaughn can be reached at mpatrick@vbjusa.com

0 comments: