Friday, April 17, 2009

Reporter's Notebook

-Charity Thompson can be reached at cthompson@vbjusa.com


THE TIMES, THEY ARE A-CHANGIN'

A few years ago, if someone had told me I would become a reporter at a business journal in a place called Vancouver, Wash., I would have given them a funny look. If they had told me it would happen in the midst of a global economic crisis, I would have laughed.

But both of those things happened, giving me better understanding of our region’s economy than I could have asked for. I call economists and get to pick their brains. I call business owners and get to hear their stories. I’m privileged that many of you call me when you want to start community dialogue. And, as a lucky word-nerd, I get to turn all that into the news that you read.

My role in this community is changing soon, as I leave my full-time work at the VBJ and become a graduate student. I’m headed for teaching certification in the public schools, which makes me sound like a glutton for punishment, I know. But it’s a career calling that I can’t ignore.

It’s likely that you’ll still hear from me from time to time as a freelance writer for the VBJ and North Bank magazine. And I’ll remain plugged into Vancouver’s business community in my part-time work with Northwest Builders Resource and Estimates Northwest.

If anything has ever been bittersweet, it’s been this last week at the VBJ – celebrating this community at last night’s Business Growth Awards while preparing to sign off from a position that has brought me such unexpected joys. Few communities rally together like Vancouver does, and you all have been a delight to work with and learn from. Keep the news coming.

0 comments: