Friday, March 20, 2009

Reporter's Notebook

-Megan Patrick-Vaughn can be reached at mpatrick@vbjusa.com

I NEED A LITTLE HELP HERE

Yesterday morning at the dentist, I picked up the Oral-B Triumph with SmartGuide Electric Toothbrush. This is a toothbrush so advanced, it comes equipped with Wi-Fi to communicate wirelessly to a monitor that among other things, times my brushing, alerts me when I’m using too much pressure, indicates which teeth to brush when and presents me with a smiley face upon completion.

I’m generally technology-illiterate – ask anyone, I can barely work my iPod – but this makes total sense to me, and I’m not sure how I’ve lived with a manual toothbrush that can’t send information to anything for so many years.

Apparently it’s just the basic things I have trouble with, such as managing email and business cards.

I’m hoping some of you can relate. At the moment, I have 481 new emails in my inbox. That’s from the last two days. How do all of you manage to get through your email and respond to folks in a timely manner on top of doing your jobs and not work 16 hours a day?

Business cards are another issue. How do you organize the mounds of business cards you collect? By last name? First name? Business name? Industry? Right now, my most recently gathered cards in a coffee cup on my desk. I’m guessing rifling through a coffee cup is not exactly the most efficient way to locate a contact.

Share your responses on the blog – let’s all learn from each other!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi Megan,

I use CardScan which is a little business card scanner. It works a treat. Probably 80% accurate in converting it to text but a lifesaver and not too expensive.

As for dealing with so much email, I'm drowning too. I wish I had an answer for that one.

Anonymous said...

I am glad to hear about your frustration with keeping up with emails and such. I believe that there is going to be more protocal as the years progress with what is acceptable in regard to responding to emails and such. I find that I can no longer be on email through the day as it is a time stealer and does not add to my production. If I email through the day, it produces more emails as opposed to completing a communication. I am often noting that if something is time sensitive that I would like a telephone call as opposed to email. Email has only elaborated on the idea of working more instead of working smarter in most regards. It has it's purposes and I am limiting such for the keeping email under control for my use.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Anonymous. However, Megan's job is to be in communication - she holds a pivotal position in our business community and I think that all of us want to know that we are welcome to communicate with her. Megan, I can think of no better suggestion than the good old fashioned executive assistant. Find someone to sort through your emails and forward those that require your personal attention.

Anonymous said...

How can you be the managing editor of the business journal and not learn time management enough to get through your emails. You not only don't return emails you don't return calls either. Better hope you have a job for life at the vancouver business journal because with your skills you'd never make it anywhere else. And by the way who said it was impressive to boast that you are so averse to technology? That just makes you sound silly especially in today's business environment.

Anonymous said...

Megan,

I will help you. Call me at
(360)254-5365 or visit my web site, www.simpleclear.biz.

At your service,

Jeff Williams
Simple & Clear