Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Reporter's Notebook

-Megan Patrick-Vaughn can be reached at mpatrick@vbjusa.com

WELCOME TO TWAINSTREET

I have been accused of boasting that I’m out of the technology loop. I assure you, I am not proud of this fact. While I adapt to technology fairly well, I admit that I like to stand on the sidelines and observe a while before jumping on board.

Even from the sidelines however, I am sure of this – Twitter has exploded. I’ve heard twittering about the micro-blogging site for months, but all signs point to yes, it is here to stay.

In April, Twitter hit a major milestone. The site got 17 million U.S. visitors in April – an 83 percent gain from March and a 3,000 percent jump from a year ago, according to U.S. comScore Media Metrix data. That is a textbook “hockey stick” growth curve, my friends.

The guy down the street is Tweeting, newspapers are doing it, community organizations are doing it, local businesses like Dotster Inc. and 1220 Main are doing it and public agencies like Clark County and the Port of Camas-Washougal are doing it, too. The port is giving Twitter a go to encourage citizens to participate in an online dialogue and spread the word about port events – yesterday, someone from the port was going to tour the Port of Kennewick, FYI. (The watchdogs Camas Washougal Watch are on board, too, so things could get fiery?)

For all of you Tweeps out there, how do you use social networking and how’s it going?

Editor's Note: Due to technical difficulties on the server where the VBJ website is hosted, the VBJ website was unavailable most of Tuesday evening and for an hour on Monday evening.

0 comments: